🌟 Unlock Your English Mastery with Adept English! 🚀 Dive into our transformative tutorials and experience effortless English understanding. Our unique Listen & Learn method mirrors natural language acquisition, making learning not just effective but enjoyable.
Learn key vocabulary and essential phrases through engaging conversations. Our lessons cater to all levels - beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Improve your grammar, pronunciation, and exam preparation with practical tips and insights. Join our global community and benefit from our diverse range of language learning podcasts. Whether you're starting your English journey or polishing your skills, Adept English is your gateway to fluency.
Why Adept English?
- 📚 Effortless learning through immersion
- 🌊 Content for every level: beginner to advanced
- 💬 Focus on real-life conversation skills
- 🗣️ Tips for pronunciation and idioms
- 📲 Accessible online, anytime, anywhere
✔Lesson transcript: https://adeptenglish.com/lessons/learn-english-language-listen-learn-method/
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with deeper meaning.
⭐ Maya Angelou
No tedious translations, just pure, seamless learning. Plus, get a sneak peek into Adept English's exciting journey and our commitment to your success. Don't miss out! Follow and subscribe to Adept English now for a breakthrough in your English fluency. Join our thriving community and start speaking English confidently today! #LearnEnglish #LanguageLearning #AdeptEnglish 🌐💬
Welcome to an exciting journey with Adept English! Just like kids learn their native tongue, you can boost your English fluency naturally and effortlessly. Our unique approach makes learning English feel simple and fun.
With guns, you can kill terrorists. With education, you can kill terrorism.
⭐ Malala Yousafzai
- Boosts Listening Skills: Enhances your ability to understand spoken English.
- Mimics Natural Learning: Mirrors how children learn their native language.
- Cultural Insights: Offers insights into British culture and customs.
- Regular Practice: Two weekly podcasts ensure consistent exposure.
- Global Perspective: Features content relevant to listeners worldwide.
- Interactive Learning: Polls and sharing options increase engagement.
- Focus on Fluency: Prioritizes speaking and conversation skills.
- Varied Topics: Covers interesting subjects for diverse interests.
- Beyond Textbooks: Moves beyond traditional grammar-focused learning.
- Real-life Application: Encourages finding language partners for practice.
- Community Support: Builds a community of learners through sharing.
- Accessible Content: Provides audio and video options for flexibility.
This lesson is packed with benefits to help you master English. Here’s what you'll gain:
No Fear of Misunderstanding: Don't worry if you don't get everything at first; understanding improves over time.
Fluency Through Listening: Consistent listening practice is the key to fluent speaking.
Retain What You Learn: The Listen&Learn method embeds English in your memory.
Learn from Mistakes: Every error is a step towards your language improvement.
Simplified Grammar: Understand grammar through real-life usage.
Learning on Your Time: Integrate English into your daily life effortlessly.
Visible Progress: Each session builds your English skills steadily.
Proven Method: Trust the natural, listening-based learning approach.
Cultural Understanding: Navigate different contexts and uses of English.
Help us make more content with a donation https://adeptengli.sh/donate
Don't miss out on this fantastic opportunity to enhance your English fluently! Follow and subscribe to the Adept English podcast. Join us for a fun and effective journey to mastering English in a way that feels just right for you!
Learning English with Adept English is like a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly; it's a natural, gradual process leading to beautiful fluency, just as children effortlessly learn their mother tongue.
- How does listening to Adept English podcasts improve my English fluency? By immersing yourself in English through listening, your brain adapts to understanding the language naturally, just like how children learn their native tongue. Regular listening to Adept English podcasts exposes you to varied vocabulary, accents, and sentence structures, enhancing your comprehension and fluency without direct translation.
- Why is speaking less fluent than understanding common in language learning? This phenomenon mirrors a child's language acquisition. Initially, comprehension develops faster than speaking ability. As you listen more, your understanding deepens. Speaking fluently requires practice, but with a strong comprehension base from listening, forming spoken sentences becomes easier and more natural.
- Can I become fluent in English by just listening, or do I need to practice speaking as well? While listening is crucial for building comprehension and internal fluency, speaking practice is essential for external fluency. Once you've achieved a comfortable level of understanding through listening, engaging in conversations will help you apply and reinforce your knowledge, thus enhancing your speaking skills.
- How does Adept English differ from traditional language learning methods? Traditional methods often focus on grammar and written exercises, which can limit practical speaking skills. Adept English, on the other hand, prioritizes listening as the main learning tool. This approach aligns with natural language acquisition, making it more effective for achieving fluency, especially in speaking and understanding spoken English.
- What are the benefits of subscribing and sharing Adept English podcasts? Subscribing ensures you consistently receive new content, aiding in regular language exposure and learning. Sharing the podcasts helps Adept English reach more learners, contributing to the community's growth. Your engagement through sharing and participating in polls also provides feedback, shaping future content to better suit listeners' needs.
- Mirroring: Copying someone's actions or behaviour.
- Fluency: Speaking or writing a language smoothly and easily.
- Podcast: A digital audio or video file available on the internet for downloading.
- Statistics: Numbers that represent facts or measurements.
- Engaged: Being very interested and involved in something.
- Mechanics: The basic way something works or is done.
- Neurons: Cells in the brain that send and receive information.
- Monumental: Very big, important, or difficult.
- Polished: Improved to be very good or perfect.
- Efficient: Doing something in a way that saves time and effort.
Hi there. Today let’s talk about how listening enables you to understand English effortlessly, mirroring the way children acquire their native language without the need for translation. Imagine effortlessly chatting in English, just like you do in your native language. That's what we're here to help you achieve! AND first let’s also have a look at what Adept English has been doing over the last year and at what our core purpose is and what we offer you. I hope if you celebrate Christmas that you’re having a lovely Christmas break - and a good rest! And if you don’t celebrate Christmas, I hope all is going well at your end too!
Don’t forget you can support Adept English by buying our podcast bundles - 50 podcasts at a time are available to buy on our website adeptenglish.com. You know that listening to all that English will really will help you improve your English language! Make some really good progress happens for you in your language learning in 2024!
Before I go further, please note as we will be celebrating New Year’s Day on Monday 1st January, there will be no video podcast on that day, but there will of course be an audio podcast on 4th January we’ll be back doing video podcasts again from 8th January.
In the past year, Adept English has been your guide, releasing two podcasts weekly – one video that started to happen partway through 2022 and one audio podcast. Some Spotify statistics for you - only because Spotify release statistics at the end of the year - I know many of you listen on other platforms as well. But these Spotify statistics were interesting for us.
Hello, I’m Hilary, and you’re listening to Adept English. We will help you to speak English fluently. All you have to do is listen. So start listening now and find out how it works.
So in 2023 the Adept English podcast reached listeners in more than 127 countries on Spotify - with Germany the country with most listens ‘Vielen Dank an unsere Zuhörer in Deutschland’!. Adept English was also popular in Italy- ‘Grazie’, Poland - ‘Dziękuję’, Brazil - ‘Obrigada’ and Spain - ‘Gracias’. So thankyou to all of you listeners in all of the different languages and we hope you keep listening in 2024!
You also heard our request to share the podcast - this is a way of really helping Adept English stay in the top rankings, so that more language learners can find us. You liked to share most on Whatsapp - I like Whatsapp too! Great for family and friends. And the episode which you shared most was podcast 670 ‘Workplace Language Trends’.
A puzzle with pieces fitting together, with some pieces having words from different languages. Transform your English with just 30 minutes a day.
We also started to run Spotify Polls in 2023 - and the episode which got you most engaged was the one entitled ‘Which English Grammar Rules Can You Safely Ignore?’ - that’s podcast 662. You liked that one and shared it a lot! A change to have someone tell you not what rules you have to follow, but instead what rules you don’t need to follow!
Adept English was last year in the top 10% of Spotify podcasts and our 76 video episodes were in the top 1% most viewed.
We love these statistics, but Adept English is nothing without you, our listeners. So while I’m taking this opportunity to say thankyou for all your listening in 2023, you help us most by keep listening, but also don’t forget to subscribe, if you haven’t already - subscribe for 2024. And remember that you can really help us by sharing our podcast with people that you know!
What do we offer in return? Speak English Like a Native: Adept English's Listen & Learn Method Leads to Real Fluency
So what do we give you in return? What do you get out of listening to Adept English?
Well, clearly most of you listen to Adept English, because you want to improve your English. Though I think we do have some native English speakers who like to listen because they find the topics that I cover interesting! You’re very welcome and I do like to cover interesting topics, but our main purpose is to give English learners great listening practice!
This is founded of course, on the idea that your brain is designed to learn language primarily through listening. You can of course learn English the way I learned Latin, in school and in university - as a kind of ‘intellectual exercise’, where it’s all about written work and grammar and the mechanics of the language. This is fine for Latin, because you’re never going to be expected to speak it. But unfortunately, the way I was taught Latin and the way English is taught in many schools and language colleges - is very similar. If you need to be able to read English and pass written exams, that kind of teaching is great. But actually I think more people are interested in fluency in a language, in actually being able to speak it and have a conversation. That kind of learning doesn’t really help you arrive at this! And that’s the purpose of Adept English. We focus on making English second nature to your brain, moving beyond mere textbook learning.
So of course fluency is about speaking the language. Or at least ‘speaking’ is the evidence that we have fluency. But really fluency happens inside your head, in your brain! ‘Fluency’ means ‘automatically being able to understand and use the language’. And to arrive at that level of comfort with English, there is no other way than listen, listen, listen and listen some more.
Many of you say that your biggest challenge is speaking - and I agree with you - that’s very common. Just like a child learning their own language for the first time - for a long time, you have much more understanding going on than there is speaking. The level of a 2 year old’s understanding is far greater than the level of their speaking. So to some extent, what you’re experiencing - being able to understand, but being less able to speak - is perfectly normal. It’s a normal stage in language learning.
But the way the Adept English ‘Listen&Learn’ method words - this is where the magic happens - you arrive at fluency in the language inside your head, first of all, with understanding. So that understanding is ‘automatic’, not translating! You understand without thinking about it. This is the first stage - and the stage that our podcasts and our courses and other learning materials help you to arrive at. Then the second stage - and you do get some practice at this with Adept English - you need to find someone to speak English with. If you’ve done enough listening, your understanding will be much, much better - so that’s one half of a real-life English conversation taken care of. But as I said, your speaking will be at a lesser level - and the only thing that will make the difference there is practising speaking. But rather than this being a monumental challenge - it’s more a matter of joining up those parts of your brain which are already fluent in understanding, which understand automatically.
You’re not ‘starting from scratch’ as we say! Say you find an online language partner to practise your English with, you’ll discover that you’re really tired after about half an hour of speaking with them. It’s hard work! Half an hour and you’ve had enough! But actually this tiredness is because you’re literally forming new neurons, NEURONS - new wiring in your brain. And the wiring is joining up the knowledge of English you already have, the understanding part - with that part of your brain that you use to speak. It’s magical - and your brain is designed to do this. It’s evolved over thousands of years to work like that. There are very few people who don’t succeed in learning to speak their own language! So if you’ve done that, you can succeed in learning English - your brain just needs the right conditions! It’s that simple.
So in 2024, keep listening to Adept English - because listening is important all the way through your language learning journey. Even if you’re fluent in English, if you don’t get opportunity to speak English every day, continuing listening anyway. Adept English will help keep your language polished. And why not make 2024 the year you organise your language partner? Online video calls work really well for this. And it means your language partner could be anywhere in the world! They just need to be someone who’s learning English too. You can start to have really interesting conversations in English - and you’ll be amazed how well your brain responds. A half-hour conversation with another person in English gives you so much more opportunity to practise speaking than you get in a whole day of traditional language classes. So it’s also a ‘time efficient’ way to improve your English speaking too.
Solve The Maths Problem To Download Podcast & Transcript
Well, we’re at the end of 2023 and we’re looking forward to supplying you with more great podcasts in 2024. If you listen on Spotify, we’ll included a poll about the types of podcasts which you most enjoy. So if you can, please let us know what you like best and you can always email us as well! We look forward to entertaining you in 2024. All the best for New Year! And don’t forget - no podcast on 1st January, but back again on the 4th.
Enough for now. Have a lovely day. Speak to you again soon. Goodbye.
Thank you so much for listening. Please help me tell others about this podcast by reviewing or rating it. And, please share it on social media. You can find more listening lessons and a free English course at adeptenglish.com